I love all the colourful fruits and vegs available in the summer for me to mix and match them in my recipes. It makes grocery shopping so much happier and more enjoyable. Picnics and barbecues always come to mind. And although fried chicken, grilled meats, potato salads are usually the stars of these gatherings, I love to make a few refreshing sides to go alongside these heavier and indulgent dishes.
So …. making good use of a summer fruit, here is the recipe for my refreshing
Watermelon Salad with Fresh Mint and Olives
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 small baby seedless watermelon (or you can use a few slices from a big watermelon)
- 1 small bunch fresh mint
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- 10 – 12 pitted black olives
- 30g feta cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dice up the watermelon into cubes and take out the seeds if any. Place them in a big bowl.
- Finely slice the red onion and cut the pitted black olives in half. Place them in the same bowl as watermelon. Toss to mix together.
- Pick out the leaves of the mint and basils and add them to the watermelon.
- Add in lime zest and juice. Season with salt and black pepper. Taste and see if you need to add more seasoning.
- Spoon into serving platter or bowls, and top with crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top and serve.